Tuesday 27 October 2015

ACRYLIC HALLOWEEN BOOK

Morning all

I'm excited to tell you That's Crafty are adding to their range of acrylic items and I've been asked to make some pieces for the shop. Acrylic is fast becoming a staple item in my crafty stash. It will take lots of different mediums and you can just keep on layering to your heart's content. The tags and ATC's  are already a firm favourite so I'm really looking forward to working with the new pieces in the range.

Of course, there are lots and lots of things you can do with acrylic but lets start at the beginning and do what I think will naturally come to mind when dealing with a clear material like acrylic. For my first piece I wanted to build a scene through an album so that when you look at the front you get a sort of 3-dimensional picture.






(apologies as it's a bit of a nightmare to photograph but the end result is pretty darned cool if I do say so myself). The album is now in the shop if you're in the area and want to have a look at it close up.

Below are the individual pages photographed in front of white paper. I've kept everything really simple to illustrate how easy it is to build an effective scheme, but there's plenty of scope to add colour, drips, anything you like really.

I've used some of my favourite Halloween stamps by PaperArtsy (Hot Picks HPHW02 and HPHW03) and Tim Holtz (The Undertaker). They mix and match beautifully.







And when you put them all together they look like this



Unfortunately, what you lose with the photograph is dimension but take it from me, it really is very effective when you're actually holding the book in your hands.

I've mostly used black archival ink and black embossing powder. I deliberately didn't use an embossing pad because I wanted a slight bloom around the images to give them a more distressed look. Where I wanted paler shades, on the cobwebs and the trees, I've used black archival ink with clear embossing powder. You get a lovely contrast that way and it adds a sense of depth.

The album I've used was 6x6 and I enjoyed making it so much I've already started another one with a winter theme.

Tomorrow I'll be sharing an acrylic votive from the new range using one of my favourite Mini stencils and some black flock...

Don't just take my word for it, Mark Gould ( has been doing some amazing stuff with acrylic ATC's and I'm really looking forward to his upcoming workshop at That's Crafty on 7th November.

Lx

8 comments:

  1. WOWser, Lauren, this looks brilliant and it sounds like it was right up your street to make too mate! Already looking forward to tomorrows post

    Kathyk

    ReplyDelete
  2. congrats on being asked to make samples for That's Crafty and certainly well deserved! Outstanding project. I know how much you like making Halloween inspired things and so I bet you had fun with this. Brill!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks like you have been busy Lauren playing with this new acrylic. You have done fabulous pieces for it.
    x catherine

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks flipping fantastic Lauren! Very inspiring! xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Really inspiring to see the layered effect of the acrylic panels ... love the spooky stamping. Great that TC have invited you to show off what the acrylic substrates can do. I invested in some of the tags recently, but haven't had a chance to play yet.
    Alison xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've not used much acrylic but todays workshop with Mark gave me lots of ideas. Great project - books are my love so this one gets my thumbs up!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Definitely intrigued by the acrylic panels, great results. Ruth x

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.