Wednesday 27 May 2015

PAPERARTSY BOTTLES CHALLENGE - GREAT AUNT MAUD

Morning all. Hope you had a good bank holiday weekend.

Like a lot of people, I've spent the weekend doing DIY.  Of course my mind is never far away from some kind of crafting project so, rather than just chuck everything away, I collected a few bits and bobs for a steampunk type art doll as I went along.

In the back of my mind I had PaperArtsy's current topic and challenge, which is Bottles, so when I found a small perfume bottle at the back of a drawer it set the little grey cells working and I squirrelled it away in my craft room for later. I always love Leandra's overview of the upcoming topic and the bottle with the keys on it really inspired me to do something different. When I found an old sewing machine bulb which I thought was kind of head shaped and, fortuitously, it fitted inside the perfume bottle; perfect! Now I had a head and a body and Lin's Bob Sprocket project was instantly brought to mind....

We had to say goodbye to our very comfy and much loved bedroom sofa but I couldn't part with some of the fabric and the lovely wooden legs, which looked remarkably like a lady's skirt when turned upside down. Maud was taking shape in my head.

Why Maud? I have absolutely no idea, but that's the name that popped into my head for her and when I looked up the meaning I found it's an old German name meaning "powerful battler". I decided she must have been a Suffragette and, as you can see, she still proudly wears her Women's Suffrage Movement medal. Votes For Women!

She lives...





 Check out her cute feather bustle (the chickens still aren't speaking to me :oD)





You should be able to see a chair leg (skirt), a perfume bottle (body), a light bulb (head), a curtain ring (arms), some picture hangers (earrings), some belt stud fasteners (ears) and I added a handbag charm, bead spacers for her eyes, cogs for her eye glass and badge and a couple of metal flowers I got in a scrapbooking kit for her hat. I had such fun making her AND I've still got the other three chair legs to play with :oD

Lx

I'm also going to enter this at Ecclectic Ellapu where the challenge this month is Steampunk



No posts for ages and then you get two at once. Please scroll down for my Dragons Dream Tag. New challenge starts today...

21 comments:

  1. Maud is adorable, Lauren! I love the originality of her - that feather is inspired. I should think she could wield a mean umbrella if the situation called for it! Her steam-punk eyes are fantastic too! Thank you for the lovely comments you leave on my blog. They are much appreciated! I love your work and I think I'm your newest follower now! xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. She is amazing - you know you could make more suffragettes and sell them ;) - just a thought x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Debs. I do have three more chair legs ;oD Lx

      Delete
  3. Wow- this is amazing Lauren- I just love it and the ideas.
    x catherine

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh Lauren, Maud is brilliant, I love everything about her and I'm sure the chickens will forgive you x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This surely put a smile on my face this Thursday morning! Looks and sounds like you had fun with this project. Love all the elements you put together to make your bottle gal, she is fantastic.

      Hugs
      Sue

      Delete
  5. She is magnificent! Love how it came together! Sometimes things are meant to be! Wonderful bustle! She has a fab personality too! Great project! X

    ReplyDelete
  6. She is a glorious steampunk creation and I envy the creativity that's rattling around in your head matey!

    Kathyk

    ReplyDelete
  7. A fantastic bottle Lauren and a fun idea, love steampunk Maud.
    Anni

    ReplyDelete
  8. A brilliant project Lauren, you are so creative - I squirrel things away in my craft room and that is where they stay!
    Pauline
    x

    ReplyDelete
  9. Fab and fun creation - Maud seems very apt name too :) Brightened my day - I hope the chickens forgive you soon! Have a lovely weekend

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wonderful project!! Great idea and lovely steampunk woman. xx

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is fabulous! Such a character, this lady.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Maud is a stupendous creative triumph ! I adore her, how can bits and bobs look so lifelike ? You are such a clever girl Lauren.

    luv
    wynneth
    x

    ReplyDelete
  13. I think Maud is a masterpiece! She is sooo cleverly made and so funny and cute and spectacular. She really has personality this little lady! Thanks for sharing her with us at Eclectic Ellapu!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wow! That's brilliant, such a wonderful way to use all the different parts :) Love her sentiments ;) ;) Thanks so much for joining us this month over at Eclectic Ellapu.
    Eithne DT

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi Lauren!
    It's me again! Lovely to meet you today, & thanks for following my blog :-)
    I love your Maud, she's amazing! Looking forward to meeting her nephew.
    Hope to see you again soon,
    Alison xxx

    ReplyDelete
  16. Wotcha! So great to meet you. Really made my day actually. Hope you're not too traumatised :oD Glad you like Maud. Sad to say dear Algernon is still legless. Must remedy that soon. I fear for his liver! :oD Hope the journey back home wasn't too awful. Chucked it down pretty much as soon as I made it home. Let me know next time your over this way. It would be great to meet up again if you're able. Lx

    ReplyDelete
  17. She's utterly splendid... monocle, bustle and all! The lightbulb head is inspired, and I'd follow her anywhere!
    Alison xx

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.